A clear and simple introduction to the most popular website platform in the world.
WordPress is an easy-to-use and flexible website platform used by bloggers, business websites, personal sites, nonprofit websites, online management systems, and much, much more. It is available in dozens of languages, is suitable for desktop, tablet, and smartphone web browsing, and is completely free when self-hosted. No matter what your goals for your website, there is a WordPress solution that will work for you. With a selection of literally millions of plugins, themes, tools and code snippets, WordPress can be made to look like anything you can imagine. If you want to create a website that is future-proof, and won’t lock you in to any particular hosting company or web designer, and that allows you to make changes yourself on the fly, without any special skills or knowledge, WordPress is your ideal platform.
The Instructor was an early adopter of WordPress about 15 years ago, and has continuously built and maintained many WordPress websites since that time.
This class is suitable for those new to WordPress, or those wishing to “fill in the blanks”, using WordPress for a business website, a nonprofit, a personal blog, a photo gallery, an event website, or almost any other web presence. No web design experience is necessary, but attendees should have solid basic computer confidence.
Included in this workshop:
- A beginner-level overview of the WordPress platform: understanding how data is created, stored, and displayed
- Choices about how WP is hosted: self vs. “.com”
- Exploring what a Theme is, and how they can be customized
- Menu-by-menu functions and tools exploration (with hands-on exercises if you bring your own computer)
- How to manage user specifications: permission levels and more
- Creative use of Posts vs. Pages
- How to customize your Page and Post templates without changing your Theme
- Widgets: the real power of WordPress
- What you can easily do yourself, and deciding when it’s time to hire a professional
- Brief exploration of the goals for each attendee, with custom recommendations
- Timesaving tips and a list of favourite plugins (mostly free!)
- Backups, backups, backups: how to do them best and easiest
- Stuff to avoid: learn from years of my mistakes!
- WordPress tricks: timesavers and cool stuff you can use right away
This one-day class is ideal for someone who’s ready to self-manage their own WordPress website, and wants a solid introduction to give them the confidence to create content and manage their basic data.
Attendees will leave with easy handouts for reference, plus a tip sheet, and a list of curated resources if they want to take it to the next level.
In-class demonstrations and exercises will use the details of the websites of those in the room, so please be sure to come ready to answer basic questions about your plans for your website.
Offering 1: Monday, February 10, 2020, 6pm to 10pm, at FVCE Boardroom, 204-20621 Logan Ave Langley
|Classroom:||FVCE Computer Lab (Suite 104, 20641 Logan Ave Langley)|
|Start Day:||February 11, 2019|
|Number of Sessions:||1|
Total course price before 5% GST: