Drawing for Beginners – Part 1
Drawing for Beginners – Part I
What you’ll learn
● By the end of this course, you will be able to draw almost anything
● The correct way to use reference
● Draw what they see and observe
● Draw basic lines and shapes
● Understand the basics of volume, light, shadow and composition
● Feel confident enough to further their artistic learning on any subject.
● Understand that everything is made of a few basic shapes
● There is absolutely no prior experience required to take this course
● Only a pencil or pen and paper is needed
Drawing and sketching can seem like magic if you don’t know how to do them. It’s not magic, it’s a skill. that means it can be taught. Just like anything and everything you have learned you had to know the very basics. You can’t do math without knowing how to count and you can’t drive without knowing what the key looks like.
This course is your “key”. All drawing starts with lines, some are straight, some are curved and rough but all are lines. Lines are used to make shapes and shapes become volumes (3d shapes) and everything in the world is made from shapes. I will teach you to use those shapes. I will show you how to make lines shapes and volumes. You will learn to hone your observational skills and draw what you see, and even what is in your head if you study and practice enough.
You need no experience in drawing. Absolutely zero! You just need a pencil and some paper.
If you have always wanted to learn to draw, this is the course for you.
Who this course is for:
● Anyone who wants to learn how to draw using a pencil and paper
● Anyone who wants to learn drawing in a more “traditional” way.
● Anyone wanting to increase their drawing skills
● The absolute beginner with zero ability to draw
● Graphic artists that want to learn to draw.
● The hobbyist who has wanted to learn to draw
● Anyone who wants to make comics or games or express their artistic desires.
● Everyone who has “How to” art books on their shelves but still couldn’t draw
● Everyone who has watched a drawing video but still couldn’t draw.
Offering 1WS24: Mondays, Feb 26 to Apr 15 2024, 6:30pm to 8:30pm, Credo Christian High School 21846 52 Ave Langley (no class Mar 18, Mar 25 & Apr 1 due to Spring Break and Easter)
Class supply list is below and you will also receive a copy by email.
Drawing for Beginners – Part 1: Instructor: Tony O’Regan
● Sketchbook – Opus Essential Wirebound Sketchbook 8x5x11” *suggested*
● Pentel P205 mechanical pencil and a regular pencil – 2B lead is what I prefer
● Kneaded eraser
About Your Instructor: Tony O’Regan
Tony O’Regan was born in Cork, Ireland in a house called Santa Lucia, built by his uncle, Mark, a singer in the big band era. He grew up Canada and in Florida, and was educated in Art and Architecture. He painted many paintings and designed many buildings. Tony painted in Paris and the West Coast of Ireland. He taught Art and Design in major universities for over 20 years, including Emily Carr Univ. and UBC. He uses his skills in architecture, perspective, and landscape design to compose his images of what things are and what they might be. He drinks coffee at the Pelican Rouge and sketches gulls by the great White Rock as they ‘gyre and gimble’ in the waves.
Tony continues to create a collection of hundreds of his demonstrations and teaching videos as well as other useful content for artists, teachers, students and design school applicants at www.toregan.com and www.artcentro.com
Course Number: HC02
Instructor: Tony O’Regan
Semester: Winter/Spring 2024
Classroom: Credo Christian High School 21846 52 Ave Langley
Start Date: Feb 26
End Date: Apr 15
Start Time: 6:30pm
End Time: 8:30pm
Class Capacity: 16
Course Price: $159.99
Number of Sessions: 5
Offering 1WS24: Mondays, Feb 26 to Apr 15 2024, 6:30pm to 8:30pm, Credo Christian High School 21846 52 Ave Langley (no class Mar 18, 25 & Apr 1 Spring Break & Easter)